TROUBLE WITH SERPENTINE BELT

Ford Thunderbird

austinpowers

February, 23, 2007 AT 12:43 PM

I have a 93 thunderbird LX. It is a 5.0 liter ho. My serpentine belt snapped so I replaced it. When I tried to start it the new one keep coming off at the tensioner.I replaced the tensioner put te belt back on. Now when I start it the belt keeps jumping trak down by the air pump pulley. It doesnt come all the way off but it wony stay in the grooves. Im sure I had it lined up right.I found one loose pulley and that was the power steering pump pulley im thinking that that pulley isnt the root of this problem. Im stumped.

CHEVYII

February, 23, 2007 AT 1:05 PM

Check all of the pulleys while the belt is off, make sure none are loose and that none are real hard to turn, you may have something locked up casuing the belt to snap the first time and now throwing it off, check it out and let us know

austinpowers

February, 23, 2007 AT 1:54 PM

After further inspection the only thing I really found was the air pump pulley seem a little stiff.I know the alternator has to be a little stiff so it creates power.I could turn the air pump pulley easy enough but when I spun it I wasnt sure how its suppose to feel.
Still stumped?

CHEVYII

February, 23, 2007 AT 2:05 PM

Everything on the engine should spin free except for the crank, check the water pump also, you may be on the right rack with the air pump

austinpowers

February, 24, 2007 AT 12:06 PM

As i kept on looking for the problem i noticed that the alternator pulley has alot of movement in it.By that i mean when spin it by hand it keeps on turning as if its freewheeling.i remember buying a new alternator and the new one would not spin like that at all.im not saying this is it cuz its charging ok.i just thought there was more resistance when you move the pulley.im not ready to give up and take it in to the shop.what do you think?

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/59973_serpentine_1.jpg

this is what caused the first belt to break.you can see where the belt keeps riding off the air pump pulley right after it makes a pass from the fan blade/water pump.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/59973_serpentine2_1.jpg

CHEVYII

February, 24, 2007 AT 12:45 PM

It would seem something may be tighter thaan it should be or locking up, dont give up, you may want to try and checking the belt size aginst the old one and if its ok have a friend help you put the belt back on and have your friend start the car and maybe you would catch something be careful

jim

austinpowers

February, 26, 2007 AT 1:28 PM

After more inspection the belt is actualy coming off before the airpump. It is coming off at the waterpump/fan pulley.I checked for play and it wiggled a little bit but not to bad, but its defienatly right at the fan pulley. Would it be the water pump or the pulley itself?Sending picture soon

CHEVYII

February, 26, 2007 AT 1:31 PM

See how the waterpump pully feels as far as being tight and I will wait for the pic

austinpowers

March, 4, 2007 AT 6:45 PM

I took the old/new belt back to the auto parts store and bought the best one they had.I took off the new belt tensioner back off. Cleaned the spot off that it set in put it back on and installed the new belt. Whammy it worked fine. Either the other belt I had was either stretched or the belt itself wasnt the right fit.I almost gave up and took it into the shop where im sure it would have cost me hundreds to get it fixed. Thanx for your help and guidance I hope this thread helps someone else out in the future.

Gregg

CHEVYII

March, 4, 2007 AT 7:04 PM

No problem, glad to see you got it
jim

Serpentine Belt Replacement Saturn Vue
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevy 1500
Serpentine Belt Replacement Acura MDX
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chrysler
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz ML