TURNS OVER WONT START

1996 Ford Thunderbird

sbladd

November, 6, 2008 AT 7:23 PM

1996 Ford Thunderbird V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 130000 miles

I replaced the fuel pump two months ago. Car drove just fine afterwards. Stopped one day and it wouldnt start. Checked for fuel pressure by removing the filter and turning on the ignition. Lots of fuel coming out. The fuel rail pressure adabter shows signs of fuel when compressed. I checked for spark. Appears that I have no spark. Pulled cylinder one wire and put an extra spark plug on it grounded it and had someone turn the engine over. No spark. Replaced the dual coil packs. Nothing. Put a wire tester to the coil packs harness and it has a positive connection with the ignition key on. With research Im thinking its my ECM. How do I know? Are there any other test procedures I can do.

James W.

November, 6, 2008 AT 8:32 PM

Unplug one of your fuel injectors and with your test light, see if you have a pulse at the connector as you crank the motor. Let me know what you find, Jim.

sbladd

November, 8, 2008 AT 3:16 PM

The test light comes on attached to an injector wire (green) with the ignition key in the on position. There is no pulse of the test light while cranking over the car. Light just stays on consistantly while connected to the green wire at the injector harness.

James W.

November, 8, 2008 AT 3:23 PM

The green wire will be " hot" all the time. What the computer does is " ground' the injector to make it fire. Yuo need to test from a hot or positive source to the black wire to check for pulse.

sbladd

November, 15, 2008 AT 2:12 PM

Tested from a positive source to the red wire on one of the fuel injector wires. No pulse. Tried it a few times to be sure. Nothing.

James W.

November, 15, 2008 AT 10:29 PM

At this point, I would change the crankshaft position sensor. It is on the front left side of the engine down by the main pulley.

sbladd

November, 18, 2008 AT 3:12 PM

Changed out the sensor. The car started right up. Thanks for your help I've been struggling with this issue for a month now and I cant express the words that came to my mind when that car started. Thanks.

James W.

November, 18, 2008 AT 11:03 PM

I love it when a good plan comes together. If you wanted, you could give me a vote in the comments section. Thanks, Jim.

sbladd

November, 19, 2008 AT 8:05 PM

Obviously I do not have enough point to give KUDOS. So: Thank you for your knowledgeable advice. I am having a CHILTON bon fire this week! Thanks again.

Starter Motor Replacement Ford Mustang
Battery Replacement Guide
Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011
Battery Replacement
Starter Replacement