R&R CRANK PULLEY & HARMONIC BALANCER

Ford Tempo

Jerryo

October, 9, 2007 AT 3:40 PM

I have a 1994, Ford, Tempo, 2.3L, automatic, with 113K miles. Can you replace the crank pulley and harmonic balancer without pulling the engine? There is less than an 1" of clearance between the pulley and fender well.

Tx,
Jerry Johnson

Harmonic Balancer

merlin2021

October, 9, 2007 AT 5:01 PM

Unless it has a plastic shield that can be removed, Probably.

Jerryo

October, 13, 2007 AT 6:19 PM

There is no access panel in the fender well to remove. Can't cut an access hole due to structural support that's incorperated into the fender well infront of the pulley.

Chilton manual said the motor had to be pulled to R& R the timing chain housing, but didn't address replacing the crank pulley. So, I don't know for sure and I am wondering if an expieranced mechanic knows a short cut instead of pulling the motor.

You can get a wrench on the pulley bolt, but I didn't have enough leverage to break it lose. Would the threats be reversed?

merlin2021

October, 14, 2007 AT 4:48 AM

Soetimes you can put a good jack under the engine, remove the mounts, and lower the engine enough.
Sometimes you'll still need to bend the inner fender, even after it's lowered. Hope this helps!

Crankshaft Main Seal Replace - Front
Step by Step Timing Belt Replacement Guide
Step by Step Timing Chain Replacement Guide
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz ML
Serpentine Belt Replacement