THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR OUT OF RANGE

Ford Taurus

ngrajal

April, 30, 2007 AT 10:27 AM

Hi there. I installed a new TPS on my 2001 Ford Taurus SEL w/ 25,000 on it. Now I'm getting a DTC P1120 " throttle position sensor out of range". What does that mean? The repair book says the TPS is not adjustable. ?

CraigFL

April, 30, 2007 AT 11:05 AM

Are you sure you installed it correctly. These are usually spring loaded and have a tang that catches on the throttle shaft. If you didn't put it in the proper position and then turn it slightly to get the mounting holes to line up, you may not be riding on the tang to get the proper readin. Usually the instructions that come with it or the service manual will tell you how to do this.

Or. You could have a defective part.

ngrajal

April, 30, 2007 AT 11:47 AM

I think I installed it wrong. I basically just placed the TPS in and mounted the screws.

TaurusWheel

April, 30, 2007 AT 5:06 PM

Sometimes you have to use a voltmeter to get the correct setting, the pcm is picking up an incorrect setting, I always scratch the housings to line them up, most have been within range, luckily