POWER STEERING FLUSH??

Ford Taurus

running_guy08

July, 20, 2007 AT 8:01 PM

Hello, I have a 1998 Taurus SE with 116,000 miles. The power steering fluid is very dark colored and smells burned. I would like to flush and refill the unit but I cannot find anywhere that says how to do it. I have the proper fluid to use and need to do it myself as I cannot afford the $70-$100 mechanics want because I am a student scraping money for school. Any idea where to find directions with pictures? Or just any sort of explanation would work for me at this point. Thanks for any help!

Service Writer

July, 21, 2007 AT 9:47 AM

The easiest way for you to do this is to buy a tool that sucks out fluid. Advance auto or any auto parts store will carry one. OR use a turkey baster. Suck out the fluid in the reservior and refill with clean dextron III trans fluid. Run it to circlulate and repeat several times. Do this procedure again after a week, and see how it looks then.

IF your daring, you can pull the return line and put it into a container, run the engine while dumping fresh trans fluid in the reservior. This takes 2 people, one to start and stop the motor and the other to pour. Don't let it suck air, or you'll create problems.

Power Steering Pump Pulley Removal
Power Steering Fluid Flush Chevrolet Blazer
Power Steering Box Replacement Chevy Tahoe
Replace Tie Rod End