HEAD GASKET

Ford Taurus

rwilliamsfam

June, 5, 2007 AT 1:57 PM

CAr is 2000 Ford Taurus, 140,000 miles. Engine is flex fuel and 6 cylinder. Just replaced belt, coolant tank, spark plugs, and some other things (totalled $900). Car started rough, once idling would settle in. At stops, it would again idle rough and act like it would stall. Temperature would sometimes spike high and smoke would come from engine area. Smell in the car is like a radiator. This morning, car won't start at all. Was told head gasket. If that is the case, is there more than one gasket and is it worth repairing? Can you estimate cost for me? Can you please answer as soon as possible? Thanks so much.

blackop555

June, 5, 2007 AT 2:00 PM

Not to expensive nor hard job. And yes it is worth repairing!

rwilliamsfam

June, 5, 2007 AT 2:10 PM

How simple is it and what is cost? I need to repair the car but $2000 is what was quoted. Is that out of line?

blackop555

June, 5, 2007 AT 2:12 PM

Welll its just the cost of the gaskets for the heads. I wouldnt say it would cost 2000 for the head gasket. Not in labor or nuffin unless they really over charge you. Do it yourself save some $$$ not to hard of a job either

rwilliamsfam

June, 5, 2007 AT 2:27 PM

To have a mechanic do the job, what do you feel is a fair estimate?

Rudpro

June, 5, 2007 AT 4:31 PM

$2000 is probably right. To change an intake manifold gasket at a dealer is $600-$700. The head gaskets are more work. You don't know what they'll find when they take it apart. It may need a valve job and/or lifters too. Call around. Make sure it's a reputable place though. The cheapest price is not always best.

Coolant Temperature Sender Replacement
Spark Plug Replacement Ford Explorer 4.6L V8
Spark Plug Replacement Mercedes Benz C230