2004 Ford Taurus Oxygen sensor issue - Car stalls and sputt

• 1 POST
  • 2004 FORD TAURUS

2004 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 135000 miles

I have Ford Tauras and check engine light came on about 2 - 3 months ago, it was diagnosed as a Oxygen Sensor issue and they said they didn't have one to replace it adn they said don't worry I have driven a car with a bad one for years. So the car over the next 4 - 6 weeks started to sputter and miss and then got to the point where it just start to quit. I brought it to a Ford shop to have the check engine light checked nad the oxygen sensor replaced and I also thought it was the orginal spark plugs in therem so I siad replace them.

Now they are coming back to me to say that I may need to replace all 3 cadilac converters because for sure the back on e is plugged and they think all 3 of them are that way. The car might be worth 4,000 and thay want 3,500 to fix it replacing all three of them and with Ford parts it is more like 5,000.

What are my options, can I get by replacing a Oxygen sensor and spark plugs and will I run into the same issues, on this whole web-site I didn't see anyone ever talk about wrecking or needing to replace cadilac converters that got plugged, let alone three of them, this is the worse case but the one that is plugged for sure is the back one.

So can one bad Oxygen sensor really cause this kind of damage? Do I need to go to a junk yard to get some cadilac converters to try to save the car, the car ran great for the last 3 years I owned it. Please help and suggest what you would do?

Thursday, September 9th, 2010 AT 9:53 AM

Hi well can, t suggest what I might do, don, t think is really legal.

Since ford can only pinpoint one convertor bad then this is mostlikely all that is bad. Ofcourse to guarantee the job they will want to replace all 3

but they are not the only ones who can replace it. Any exhaust shop can replace it. You already know which one is bad go to the exhaust shop and save 3000

Saturday, September 11th, 2010 AT 12:20 PM