Transmission removal

JEFFDEAN
  • 2003 FORD TAURUS
Hello I am trying to remove the transmission from, a 2003 ford taurus and my instructions say to remove the sub frame but there are no instructions on how. Can you tell me how.
Sunday, June 7th, 2009 AT 11:05 AM

JGAROFALO
Here is a video that shows a front wheel drive transmission getting pulled out so you can see what you are in for and the diagrams below to show you what it is like for your car.

https://youtu.be/6N6b5F2ChyE

To remove the subframe, you must:

1) support the engine from above. This is important, as the entire powertrain is supported only by the subframe.
2) Remove the motor mount bolts from the studs. Remove the bolts that hold the side support for the transmission.
3) seperate the lower ball joints from the steering knuckles.
4) remove the steering rack mounting nuts from their studs.
5) Remove the catalytic converter and exhaust pipe assembly.
6) Disconnect the stabilizer bar links from the front struts.
7) remove any clips or brackets from the subframe that attach oil lines (power steering lines, trans cooler lines, etc.)
8) remove the bolts that hold the subframe to the body. When you remove these bolts, the subframe will tend to fall. Best to support it with blocks or stands.

Check out the diagrams (Below). Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.

Cheers
+3
Wednesday, June 10th, 2009 AT 2:42 PM
TREEFROG
  • 2003 FORD TAURUS
2003 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

What are the steps for removing the tranny from my 2003 Taurus. Column shift? Help is very much appreciated.
Tuesday, August 28th, 2018 AT 12:05 PM (Merged)
MERLIN2021
Way too much info to post so check your email 2 PDF's on the way, I sent both the 4F50N and the AX4S.
-1
JVWURMNEST
  • 2003 FORD TAURUS
Are there any videos on how to remove/replace the transmission on an '03 Ford Taurus? If not how about step by step instructions? Thanks
There isn't enough time left in my life to type that much. You need a copy of the manufacturer's service manual. That will have pages of instructions with line drawings, and there will be a section for special tools needed and for torque specs. Don't waste your money on Haynes or Chiltons manuals for a job like this. Those only cover things do-it-yourselfers can handle.

You can also go to the top of this page, point to "Repair and Service", then click on "Manuals". That will take you to a site that independent repair shops subscribe to for thousands of dollars per year. You can buy a subscription for just your car for low cost that includes the manufacturer's information, plus recalls, service bulletins, common fixes, and other information.

Read through the entire procedure before deciding to try to do this yourself. It can be an all-day job with the car on a hoist, and a lot harder without a hoist.
ELEON
  • 2003 FORD TAURUS
The auto transmission doesn't shift; I replaced the speed sensor and still not working,
If I disconnect the speed sensor the car shift normal but only if the check transaxle warming light is flashing. If the warning light doesn't come, the card won't shift.
No code shows.
Any help I will really appreciated.
31KILO
  • 2001 FORD TAURUS
We replaced the transmission in my husband's work car, and he drove the car for a couple of weeks when the transmission warning light came on. We disconnected the battery cables and the warning light would come back after a couple of days. Since we replaced the transmission, is there anything that we would need to take the car in for? Like for some sort of computer configuration with the new transmission? Just wanting to know for certain what to expect before we brought it in somewhere.
BMRFIXIT
Disconnecting the battery should've reset all codes and memories
and if the light is coming back on you have a failure and codes need to be checked for repair
MJ246
  • 2002 FORD TAURUS
Have trans loose from engine but trans wont drop have gap and torque converter is seperated from flywheel
ASEMASTER6371
Axles out? Cradle down? All 6 bell housing bolts out? Harness disconnected? Bracket on rf holding trans to engine unbolted?

JASON1969
Pull the transmission off the guide pins first before it will drop
VGBEAR
  • 2005 FORD TAURUS
2005 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Automatic 86000 miles

I have a 05 Ford Taurus that the check tranmission light came on. ITs been checked and they said my 1st gear is out on it, need to replace or rebuild the transmission. I also have a 03 Ford Explorer and was wondering if it would be possible to just switch transmissions for these vehicles since the Explorer isnt used much anyway. They're both 6 cyl. Would this be possible or does it need to be a Ford Taurus transmission? Thanks.
Tuesday, August 28th, 2018 AT 12:06 PM (Merged)
It won't work. They are nothing alike.
BRICKWASHER
  • 2005 FORD TAURUS
I am trying to remove my tranny on a 2005 ford tarus, but I can't get ti out, how do you get these things out