ENGINE MISFIRE

2002 Ford Taurus

JLVK9

February, 24, 2008 AT 12:14 AM

2002 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 101000 miles

I RECENTLY PURCHASED A 2002 FORD TAURUS. THE ENGINE LIGHT IS ON AND IT HAS A CONSTANT ENGINE MISS. COMPUTER SHOWS THAT A MISFIRE WAS DETECTED ON CYLINDERS 1& 2, ALSO STATES THAT A MISFIRE WAS DETECTED ON START UP DURING FIRST 1000 REVOLUTIONS. PLUGS AND WIRES ARE NEW. WHERE SHOULD I LOOK NEXT FOR THE PROBLEM?

Engine Miss

Jack42

February, 24, 2008 AT 8:12 AM

Possible injectors or vacuum leak. Do a compression test first. Just to be sure it doesnt have a blown head gasket that is passing compression back and forth between the two, cant tune up and engine that isnt mechanically good

JLVK9

February, 24, 2008 AT 8:37 PM

Haven't done compression test yet, but I removed the #1 & #2 spark plugs and the looked fouled out. Other 4 looked like new. Also did ohm test on the injectors and they showed between 11.6 and 12.3, which is in the normal range I think. All vacuum looked in good shape. Could the 1& 2 injectors be clogged? Thanks for the prior info.

Jack42

February, 25, 2008 AT 7:33 AM

Without knowing the 8th digit of the vin, I cant look anything up, do those cylinders share a coil? If plugs are black, the coil might be weak or bad, be a big coincidince for 2 injectors next to each other to go out. Notpossible

JLVK9

February, 25, 2008 AT 7:39 PM

Yes, the cylinders share a coil. Square black box with 6 plugs mounted on the valve cover. I have replaced the #1 & #2 plugs, also replaced the coil with a used one from a salvage yard, before I went out a bought a new one. The used coil is showing an primary ohm reading of 0.9 to 1.3, book says it should be 0.5, can't figure out how to get the secondary connector ohm reading from the manual. Car seems to be running a lot better. Cleared the engine light and it's hasn't come back on yet. Keeping my fingers crossed. Seems to still be a small miss at idle but I can't tell it at higher rpm's. Thanks for ur help.

Jack42

February, 26, 2008 AT 7:29 AM

Mine are crossed for you too