A code P0174 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:
* The MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor is dirty or faulty. Note: The use of "oiled" air filters can cause the MAF to become dirty if the filter is over-oiled. There is also an issue with some vehicles where the MAF sensors leak the silicone potting material used to protect the circuitry.
* There could be a vacuum leak downstream of the MAF sensor.
* In the vast majority of cases, simply cleaning the MAF sensor does the trick. Take it off and spray it with electronics cleaner. Make sure you are careful not to damage the MAF sensor, and make sure it's dry before reinstalling.
* Inspect all vacuum hoses, replace if necessary.
* Check for a dirty fuel filter and proper fuel pressure. Make sure that you get fuel filter that is meant for flex fuel.
Tuesday, November 18th, 2008 AT 9:41 PM