1999 FORD TAURUS HELP????????

• shunt311
  • 1999 Ford Taurus

Steering problem
1999 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 174000 miles

my car would not start after driving fine the night before. I jumped it and after about 20mins it started. The battery was old so I replaced it. It started and ran fine yesterday but today the power steering went out while making a turn and the battery light was flashing. In a few moments I regained steering and it was fine. I took it home and cleaned the Terminals and took it around the neighborhood, it made 3 or 4 good turns and the power steering went out again with a blinking battery light. Seems to only happen while making a 90* turn. Any ideas? Thank you

Thursday, December 25th, 2008 AT 12:56 AM

• Zackman

The only connection from your P/s to the battery light is your serpentine belt. Make sure that the tensioner pulley is is giving the correct tension and the belt is not tool loose or too tight. Also, while you are under the hood, with the engine running have an assistant to turn the wheel as if he was making a 90 degree turn, and see if the motor or the belt area moves.

Thursday, December 25th, 2008 AT 7:05 PM
  • shunt311

Thank you, this is what i've been told by many people. Seems like auto zone wants to sell a 159.00 altenator. Im gonna inspect the belt tomorrow. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks again and merry christmas ; )

Thursday, December 25th, 2008 AT 9:00 PM
  • shunt311

I had the altenator tested and it passed but was putting out half the amps (with the old belt). Bought a new belt and while changing it I noticed how loose it really was, I removed it with a screw driver without releasing the tensioner. Looped the new one through and played hell with getting to the tensioner but finally got it on. So far no problems and the car seems to drive better and the dredded check engine soon light that was on for 2+ years when my ex had it is now GONE. Thank you for your help and have a great 2009 ; ) next project is getting the power locks to work (which is prob a fuse or wire prob). Lol

Friday, January 9th, 2009 AT 7:25 PM
  • Zackman

Glad everything worked out for you. When you are ready to tackle the power lock, create a new thread and we'll be happy to help you out.

Saturday, January 10th, 2009 AT 1:34 AM