HELP????????

1999 Ford Taurus

shunt311

December, 25, 2008 AT 12:56 AM

Steering problem
1999 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 174000 miles

my car would not start after driving fine the night before. I jumped it and after about 20mins it started. The battery was old so I replaced it. It started and ran fine yesterday but today the power steering went out while making a turn and the battery light was flashing. In a few moments I regained steering and it was fine. I took it home and cleaned the Terminals and took it around the neighborhood, it made 3 or 4 good turns and the power steering went out again with a blinking battery light. Seems to only happen while making a 90* turn. Any ideas? Thank you

Zackman

December, 25, 2008 AT 7:05 PM

The only connection from your P/s to the battery light is your serpentine belt. Make sure that the tensioner pulley is is giving the correct tension and the belt is not tool loose or too tight. Also, while you are under the hood, with the engine running have an assistant to turn the wheel as if he was making a 90 degree turn, and see if the motor or the belt area moves.

shunt311

December, 25, 2008 AT 9:00 PM

Thank you, this is what i've been told by many people. Seems like auto zone wants to sell a 159.00 altenator. Im gonna inspect the belt tomorrow. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks again and merry christmas ; )

shunt311

I had the altenator tested and it passed but was putting out half the amps (with the old belt). Bought a new belt and while changing it I noticed how loose it really was, I removed it with a screw driver without releasing the tensioner. Looped the new one through and played hell with getting to the tensioner but finally got it on. So far no problems and the car seems to drive better and the dredded check engine soon light that was on for 2+ years when my ex had it is now GONE. Thank you for your help and have a great 2009 ; ) next project is getting the power locks to work (which is prob a fuse or wire prob). Lol

Zackman

January, 10, 2009 AT 1:34 AM

Glad everything worked out for you. When you are ready to tackle the power lock, create a new thread and we'll be happy to help you out.

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Fuel Pump Pressure Test
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe