Removal & Installation
1. Place wheels in straight-ahead position. Disconnect negative battery cable. Disconnect positive battery cable. Disable air bag system. Remove steering wheel.
2. Remove contact assembly. Remove lower trim cover from instrument panel. Remove right and left lower moldings from instrument panel by unsnapping from retainer. Unscrew and remove tilt release lever from column (if equipped).
3. Rotate lock cylinder to RUN position. Insert a 1/8" drill bit or punch into hole in lower shroud below lock cylinder. Press lock cylinder retaining pin with drill bit or punch while pulling lock cylinder out of housing.
4. Remove upper and lower shrouds. Remove instrument panel reinforcement brace under column.
5. On vehicles with column shift, disconnect shift indicator cable from lock cylinder housing by removing 2 retaining screws. Disconnect shift-indicator cable loop from hook on shift control assembly. On vehicles with console shift, remove interlock cable from steering column.
6. Disconnect multifunction switch and ignition switch electrical connectors. Remove multifunction switch. Remove parking brake vacuum release switch.
7. Remove lower pinch bolt from "U" joint connecting steering shaft to intermediate shaft. Disconnect shift cable from pivot on shift selector lever. Remove shift cable and bracket from lower column mounting bracket.
8. While supporting steering column, remove 4 steering column mounting nuts. Remove steering column from vehicle. To install, reverse removal procedure.
Monday, March 23rd, 2009 AT 6:46 PM