HESITATION PROBLEMS

1997 Ford Taurus

willhas

November, 12, 2006 AT 12:41 PM

97 ford taurus with a 138,000 miles, 3.0 L motor. When starting up has bad hesitiation like the old carborated motors w/choke sticking or bad accelerator pump. Is worse when cold, but has some hesitiation when accelerating all the time. Have ran codes, but showed no codes. Had fuel pump installed and that resulted in no change. Also had fuel injectors cleaned, helped but problem still existes and after 3 months is getting worse again. Recently while working on trans. Computer showed code for catalytic converter problem. This code never showed in the past. Could this be the problem? If not what do you suggest?

kamrynsdad1976

November, 13, 2006 AT 6:40 AM

A catalytic converter that is getting stopped up will definitely hurt performance and fuel mileage as well. And it is definitely possible that it is causeing the hard starts as well. I suggest you replace the converter and I would also run a pressure check on the fuel rail to see if you have an injector that isn't functioning properly or possibly a pressure regulator problem.

Vacuum Leak Test and Repair - All Cars
Mass Air Flow Sensor Clean Ford Explorer 1995
Mass Air Flow Sensor Clean Toyota Tacoma