CAUTION:Do not begin this removal procedure unless a new wheel hub retainer and washer assembly and a new inboard halfshaft joint stub shaft circlip are available. Once removed, these parts must not be reused during assembly. Their torque holding ability or retention capability is diminished during removal.
1. Turn ignition switch to the OFF position and place the steering column in the unlock position. Remove wheel hub retainer. Raise vehicle on hoist.
NOTE: Make sure steering column is in the unlocked position, and do not use a hammer to separate tie rod end from the front wheel knuckle. Use extreme care not to damage boot seal.
2. Remove cotter pin from tie rod end stud and remove slotted nut. Discard cotter pin and nut. Using Tie Rod End Remover (TOOL-3290-D) and Tie Rod End Remover Adapter (T81P-3504-W), remove tie rod end from front wheel knuckle. Remove stabilizer bar link from front shock absorber.
3. Remove disc brake caliper and wire in such a manner as to obtain working space. Do not allow disc brake caliper to separate from the front disc brake caliper anchor plate to prevent contamination of the disc brake guide pin journals. Do not allow disc brake caliper to hang from rear wheel brake hose. Remove front disc brake rotor. Remove front disc brake rotor from wheel hub by pulling it off the lug bolt. If front disc brake rotor is difficult to remove from front wheel knuckle, strike front disc brake rotor sharply between lug bolt with a rubber or plastic hammer.
If front disc brake rotor will not pull off, apply Rust Penetrant and Inhibitor (D7AZ-19A501-AA) to inboard and outboard rotor/hub mating surfaces. Install 3-Jaw Puller (D80L-1013-A) or equivalent and remove front disc brake rotor by pulling on front disc brake rotor outside diameter and pushing on hub center. If excessive force is required for removal, check front disc brake rotor for lateral runout prior to installation. Lateral runout must be checked with lug nuts clamping hat section of front disc brake rotor.
4. Remove anti-lock brake sensor mounting bolt and front brake anti-lock sensor. Remove and discard lower ball joint nut. Using Ball Joint Remover (T96P-3010-A), separate lower ball joint from front suspension lower arm.
5. Using Rotunda Spring Compressor (164-R-3571), compress front coil spring until lower ball joint clears front suspension lower arm. Using Front Hub Remover/Replacer (T81P-1104-C), Two Stud Adapter (T86P-1104-A1), Metric Hub Remover Adapter (T83P-1104-BH) and Front Hub Installer (T81P-1104-A), press front wheel driveshaft joint from wheel hub. Wire front wheel driveshaft joint to body to maintain a level position.
6. Remove and discard three hub and bearing retainer bolts from front wheel knuckle. Wheel hub is not pressed into front wheel knuckle.
DO NOT use slide hammer to remove a stuck wheel hub. Do not strike back of inner bearing race. Use of these methods will damage bearing internal parts. If bearing carrier is corroded to front wheel knuckle, apply Rust Penetrant and Inhibitor (D7AZ-19A501-AA) to the inboard and outboard wheel hub/knuckle mating surface and allow to soak. Remove wheel hub from front wheel knuckle.
Friday, March 20th, 2009 AT 1:29 PM