1995 Ford Taurus pcm

• 10 POSTS
  • 1995 FORD TAURUS

1995 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 119000 miles

here is my new problem when the car sits overnight and I drive it the next day I have now 3rd or 4th gear. If I disconnect the battery for 10 min or so and drive it it shifts like normal. Then the next day same thing. Is this a bad pcm that is the only thing I can think of. I have had it reprogrammed once and the next day same problem. But if I disconnect battery and reset everything it is fine until the next day. I have replaced the vss twice already. Thanks for all your help

Saturday, May 30th, 2009 AT 3:15 PM

• 500 POSTS

From the information yo uhave given, I would say that the problem is electrical in nature. BUT, I would NOT say that the PCM is the primary suspect. As a matter of practice, the PCM is the most reliable part of the system, and the last to suspect.

Electronic systems are a bit peculiar in that the PCM needs to be satisfied that every other part is in working order in the system. If the PCM is not satisfied, it will go into a default mode or "limp" mode to get you to a repair facility rather than being stranded many miles from help.

Having said all of that, let's get to diagnostics.

Start by checking for codes. I would suspect that you have a shift solenoid that is sticking or intermittent. Once you have the codes, you can post back with the resukts, and I can point you towards the repair that is needed.

Sunday, May 31st, 2009 AT 8:36 AM