GAS SMELLS

1994 Ford Taurus

leethsoccer

May, 22, 2010 AT 7:41 PM

Smells problem
1994 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 110000 miles

we have just come across a gas smell coming from our car. We can smell gas coming through the vents when running ac and when car is parked in garage, it is so bad of gas smell. What can I look for and where? I dont see a visual leak when I look under hood at engine. Please save us, dont want engine to catch on fire.

caradiodoc

May, 22, 2010 AT 9:36 PM

Hi leethsoccer. Welcome to the forum. You're the second person today with this problem. Look for leaks under the right side of the car between the two tires, especially if you live in a state where they throw a pound of road salt on an ounce of snow. It only takes a tiny pinhole leak in one of the metal lines running from the tank to the engine to make a nasty smell. Also look at the sides of the gas tank for wetness or signs of staining from leaking gas. Check the rubber hoses too that connect the fill tube to the tank.

There can also be a rotted or disconnected hose in the emissions system. Look for the charcoal canister. Its job is to absorb fumes from expanding gas in the tank and channel them to the engine to be burned when it is running. There will be fumes from those hoses if they are loose or rotted, but no wet fuel.

Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Honda Element
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Ford Escape
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Toyota Tacoma
Oil Change/Filter Replacement Hyundai Sonata