1990 Ford Taurus Pinging and other problems

• 1990 FORD TAURUS

1990 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 120197 miles

I have a 1990 3.0 v6 taurus. I had the cigarette lighter short my car out about a year ago. I drove the car when the short was bad. It would kill the battery every night. I changed the voltage regulator twice before I figured out tht the short was the lighter.

The car has run bad ever since. I did a full tune up a week later and it didn't help. I get a few pops from the engine when its cold and I accelerate. Doesn't do it when its warm tho. It will ping going up hills when it is cold or warm, it got better after running some fuel cleaner in it. When I put the car in park it will run for a few seconds and then die. It will sometimes die at a stoplight as well. The check engine light has never come on.

It ran perfect before this short. I passed emesions with some of the lowest scores tht I have seen. It passed emissions after the short tho but it took 2 times going thu and the scores were really high.

I'm wondering if there is something tht I can replace or if the short hurt a bunch of things?

Please help.
Thx Tom

Friday, June 26th, 2009 AT 6:44 PM

I don't see a relationship between the lighter problem and the engine problem. Possible but not likely. This sounds like a problem with the ignition module, PIP sensor, or distributor.

Start by checking the timing with a good timing light. Be sure to remove the SPOUT connector first. The mark should line up, and be steady at 10 degrees BTDC.

Saturday, June 27th, 2009 AT 7:40 AM