STARTER PROBLEMS

Ford Ranger

lorenh

September, 23, 2006 AT 10:12 AM

I have a 1994 Ford Ranger with a 2.3L 4cyl. 5 spd. With 153, 00 miles. The problem is it won't start, just click. The battery terminals have been cleaned, and the battery checked with a hydrometer and load test. The starter was removed and taken to autozone and checked ok, was reinstalled and all connections cleaned, still same click. Voltage at starter is 12 volts and when in start postion solenoid wire has 12 volts. I'm stumped. All connections are clean and wires look in good condition. Help please.

Just a update. I took starter back off and they retested still showed good. This time I mentioned that they were testing with out it being under load they agreed gave me a new rebuilt starter and it works now Thanks for the answer.

NOS

September, 23, 2006 AT 2:44 PM

I belive you have a bad starter solenoid but you have to remember to that a starter will spin when a load is put to it out of the truck doesn't always mean the it is good but try the solenoid first. Here is one thing you can try. There is two big post on the solenoid one goes to the battery and one to the starter. Take a pair of metal handled pliers and jumper the two big post. Make sure the truck is out of gear and e-break is set would want you to get run over.( If the motor cranks it is the solenoid ) by doing that your by passing the switch and the solenoid.(NOS) 8)

Starter Replacement
Starter Motor Replacement Ford Mustang
Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006
Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000