HOW TO TEST THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR

Ford Ranger

oilpan49

March, 30, 2006 AT 9:06 PM

Hey everyone! Great forum!

I drive a '98 Ford Ranger 2.5L 4banger 2wd with 82K miles. Last week it started running rough and fluxuating RPM's on cold start up. It does this whenever I first start the truck for the day. After a minute of idling, it smoothes out and the truck runs fine. FWIW, last year, I put new Bosch plugs, wires, fuel filter and PCV valve.

I tried cleaning the IAC and TB with some carb cleaner and a small parts brush. Both did nothing for how the truck starts up, still the same in all ways.

I'm starting to think my TPS sensor is going out. There is no check engine light and I've learned that this is a common problem on some Rangers.

My question is how do you properly test the TPS? I do have DMM but no other testing equipment. Any advice or imput anyone has, I would appreciate. Thanks again -op-

peppermrj

March, 31, 2006 AT 10:50 PM

That is all you will need. You can also do it thru the data link. Some scanners and most computer programs will display the output as a graph. Any unrequested spikes will tell the tale. Check your PMs.

Good luck and let us know what you find. : )

oilpan49

April, 1, 2006 AT 2:15 AM

Thanks for the help peppermrj! Awesome info!

First I'll admit, I am no tech by any means. I know how to do some things to my own truck but when it comes to electrical or small tideous things, I stink at it.

Off topic question, what's the difference between probing and backprobing and more so, how do probe a connector or wire? Thanks -op-

peppermrj

April, 1, 2006 AT 4:25 AM

You can probe a part ie TPS or backprobe the wiring coming to it.