92 3.0 WITH VERY ROUGH IDLE

1992 Ford Ranger

redranger

My high mileage Ranger suddenly began idling roughly and making a " whirring noise" around the distributor area two days after I changed the plugs, wires, and filters. It was running like new before the problem occured, and I have triple checked to make sure that I ordered and replaced the plugs/wires correctly. The check engine light comes on intermittently, and it drives well on the highway. Just idles very roughly. Possibly Distributor problem? Never replaced one before.

bubba_koski

Not a dist. Problem, your looking at an idle air control valve (IAC)or if its carb. Then your idle mix. Screws need to be configured

redranger

Thank you much for your response. It is a fuel injected Ranger. I guess you're saying that the IAC problem would make that " whirring" kind of noise coming from the distributor area as well as cause the rough idle? Thanks again for the quick respose. Gotta try and take in on the highway this weekend.

redranger

February, 8, 2007 AT 1:21 PM

Nope, it wasn't the IAC valve. Just a well hidden vacuum problem. I guess the sound should of been a dead giveaway.

Vacuum Leak Test and Repair - All Cars
Cylinder Head Valve Job Guide
Fuel Injector Replacement Ford 5.4L V8
Spark Plug Replacement Toyota Corolla 2000-20