ANTI-THEFT SYSTEM

1999 Ford Ranger

Martndale

September, 13, 2010 AT 3:02 PM

1999 Ford Ranger 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic

I'm considering buying a 99 ford ranger. The previous owner lost the keys out camping and tried to dig the ignition out and triggered the anti-theft system. The red " theft" light is blinking on the dash and now it will not start. They then found the keys. I will replace the ignition in the steering column myself and repair any damage to the electrical components. My question is, is that all there is to it? Or will I have to reset the system some how. Is there a way to disconnect this system somehow?

Jacobandnickolas

September, 18, 2010 AT 10:45 PM

If they found the correct keys, it should work. As far as your other question, if that light is flashing, I hate to say it but it will need to go to a dealer to have it diagnosed and repaired. And no, there is no way to bypass it. The only thing that will bypass it (if it is still functional) is turning the key to the run position and allowing the vehicle to sit like that. After about 10 minutes, the light should go off and the vehicle should start.