1996 FORD RANGER BATTERY LIGHT

• testond
  • 1996 Ford Ranger

1996 Ford Ranger 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 197000 miles

Battery light on dash started coming on briefly, then would go out (sometimes for days). Now it is on constantly. Occasionally it will go back off at high rpms. I have replaced the battery. The charge meter on the dash looks fine (although it's not a great indicator), there are no issues under load (lights, etc), and no issues charging. I checked for loose wiring, ground wires and belt tension. I've been driving like this for weeks, without any issue, other than the battery light being on. Any thoughts?

Wednesday, November 19th, 2008 AT 10:19 AM

• rasmataz

Use a voltmeter-read the battery's open voltage meaning no load engine not running-should read 12.4 volts or better. Now fire it up-reading now should be 13.5-15.5, if not get the battery and alternator load tested-this is to find out it the alty is putting out the correct output and battery taking the reconditioning.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_a1_2.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_a2_2.jpg

Wednesday, November 19th, 2008 AT 3:52 PM
  • m1ke

I have the exact same truck, mine has 165k miles. I had the same problem you report with charging light flickering, then staying on. I had the alternator checked- it was bad. New one is on order.

Wednesday, November 19th, 2008 AT 7:39 PM
  • testond

Well, I checked the open voltage, and it was 12.78V. After starting the engine, now is 14.40V. This seems fine to me. Not sure where to go from here.

Friday, November 21st, 2008 AT 5:41 AM
  • m1ke

Mine did the same thing.

I had it checked at an auto parts store, under load, and it indicated bad. As I drove it, the 'full charge' would come and go, but the new alternator fixed this.

Friday, November 21st, 2008 AT 6:38 AM