1993 Ford Ranger Install remanufactured engine

DAVIDBYRER
  • 1993 FORD RANGER
Located two remanufactured engines on ebay. One is for 92-94 ranger, for $1475.00. The other one is for 86-91 ranger, for $649.00. My question is, what is the mechanical difference between the two that I can't use the more economically priced unit? The VIN code on my truck is 1FTCR11U7PLA00886. Both engines are3.0.
Saturday, March 28th, 2009 AT 1:20 PM

DAVIDBYRER
Dear Bob & Ken: After reading your responce to my question & seeing all of your questions involving warranty & dollar per build amount, I realize I have omited information that you needed. -Sorry- I already know it is not possible to remanufacture an engine for $649. The two remanufactured engines in question are by a company called ENGINES DIRECT on E-Bay. All of their credentials seem in order. The $649 engine (86-91) is an inventory close-out 50-75% off wholesale price, with a 30 day warranty. The $1475 engine (92-94) is a factory direct 3yr./100,000 mi. Parts & labor warranty with a very impressive & detailed list of all parts, specs & machine work involved. Neither engine requires core exchange, both with $149 flat shipping fee. Yes I have checked for a used engine at multiple wrecking yards, and find the possibility of finding a low mileage 93 Ranger engine is somewhere between slim & none. That is why I am looking at remanufactured units. Obviously there must be difference between the two or they wouldn't list them separately. My only remaining question is, are there MAJOR differences between a 86-91 3.0 Ranger engine & a 92-94 3.0 Ranger engine? In short, could the 86-91 engine possibly work in my 93 Ranger 4x4? Thanks David Byrer
Saturday, March 28th, 2009 AT 1:27 PM
RACEFAN966
Ok first thing is I can't tell you what the difference it as I have no history on either engine. How do you know it was remanufactured? What proof do you have? What warranty do you get? It is not possible to completely rebuild an engine for 649 just can't be done with all the proper mechine work and price for parts not possible. Now have you checked any local wrecking or salvage yards for a low mileage one that comes with a warranty? Just a thought. Anyway thats my opinion on it.
Sunday, March 29th, 2009 AT 10:18 AM
DAVIDBYRER
Wednesday, April 1st, 2009 AT 6:13 PM
RACEFAN966
OK there is a big difference as to weather or not your accessories will bolt back on. The split goes as such it is 86 to 88 with the bolts on the front of the head being 8 mm and then 89 to 92 with bolts on the front of the head being 10mm. These engines are not 3.0 ltr they are 2.9 ltr Ford didn't have a 3.0 in the ranger explorer till 1991. The 3.0 breaks down into roller and non roller engines. From there it is dependent on the block numbers. Like the D9DE and the F2DE are both non roller engines and the F2DE-BA is a roller cam engine. I hope this better answers your question. You need to do what you feel comfortable with. I either do my own rebuilding or I depend on a place with a good warranty so I have someone to fall back on if anything goes wrong. I like ATK Engines as they offer a 3yr unlimited mileage warranty. Thats just me.
Thursday, April 2nd, 2009 AT 10:27 AM