4.0 OHV TIMING CHAIN QUESTION

1991 Ford Ranger

1nisam1

July, 5, 2007 AT 1:22 PM

Is there a way to see if the timing chain on my 1991 Ford Ranger 4.0 OHV has jumped time? The truck died coming off the interstate, no codes, I've replaced the Ign Module, crank sensor, coil pack, and MAF sensor, and I'm tired of throwing parts at it. It has the classic " jumped time symptoms" you can hear it fire in the exhaust, and every now and then a backfire through the throttle body. With no distributor to index the timing, I'm lost and really don't want to pull down the front of the motor to find nothing wrong! Any help would be greatly appreciated!.

merlin2021

July, 5, 2007 AT 1:59 PM

Using the timimg mark on the crank. Put it at TDC and remove the #1 Plag, is it at TDC? If not rotate crank around again and recheck. Other than that. Only if it broke, you could remove a valve cover and crank engine, if nothing moves belt broke!

Serpentine Belt Replacement
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet Tahoe
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz
Serpentine Belt Replacement Acura MDX