89 TROUBLE CODE 18

1989 Ford Probe

earlellison

November, 12, 2006 AT 6:22 PM

89 ford probe, 184,395 miles, non turbo, car starts but shuts off soon after, scanned computer and received a trouble code of 18, but this vehicle is a 4 cyl non turbo and does not have a spout, code 18 for v6 is spout grounded. Not really sure what im looking for. Hope you can help, also the tachometer acts erratic, jumps up and down just prior to car shutting down, replaced coil, and eci relay, also replaced fuel pump relay.

earlellison

November, 17, 2006 AT 2:41 PM

Thank you all who read my problem and gave it some thought. Problem was fuel pump, visited alot of web sites and read alot of other net post for similar problems and gave it a shot, needed to be original equipment ($350.) But it worked, aftermarket pumps are not strong enough and will not hold up, replaced my pump with one (aftermarket) a year ago so I took a shot at it and it worked. Hope this helps someone out.