SHIFTING GEARS AND GETTING UP TO SPEED

1993 Ford Probe

rbowers2

March, 5, 2010 AT 5:16 PM

1993 Ford Probe 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 165000 miles

I just bought this car from a friend it runs fine in every way except today I began to have a problem with the car getting up to speed and a high revving when in gear. My car is not shifting correctly and is revving extremely high without getting much speed. For example, when I go from stop to first the motor revs around a 6-7 on the RPM gauge but doesn't go above 10 MPH shifting into second gets me up to 25 MPH and Third will get me to 35-45 MPH all revving the same as in first. My fiance thinks something may be wrong with the clutch plate but I would like to have a professional opinion before going into the mechanic. What is wrong how much is it to fix and can me and a couple of my fiancé's friends fix this without much trouble?

March, 7, 2010 AT 2:03 AM

Hi rbowers2, Welcome to 2carpros and TY for the donation this is what keeps us going to help.

Your clutch is slipping-when accelerating from a stop and rpm going sky high and vehicle not picking up speed the way it should-Replace the clutch assembly-

Dunno the costs bcuz it varies with location could be $70.00-$130.00 per flat rate hr-

rbowers2

March, 8, 2010 AT 6:33 PM

Thank you so much! You really helped I just had one more question you didnt answer is this something that someone with some experience could do or is this something I definitely need to take to a mechanic?

March, 8, 2010 AT 6:46 PM

Is this something that someone with some experience could do I don't see why not with all the tools/equipment available an experience DIY can accomplish it-saves money

rbowers2

March, 10, 2010 AT 9:09 AM

Thank you! You truely have helped I do have one final question. If I drive short distances until I get this fixed(probly within the next couple days) can this hurt anything else in my car should I even attempt to drive it?
Again thanks you have been the biggest help during the process of fixing my car!

March, 10, 2010 AT 3:17 PM

You'll be fine as long as its not slipping real bad on 1st/2nd gear

Transmission Mount Replacement - RWD Cars
Transmission Service Toyota Tacoma
Transmission Drain and Refill Kia Sportage
Transmission Service Ford Super Duty F-250
Drive Shaft Removal - All Cars
Pulling an Auto Trans? Easy Instructions