1993 Ford Probe SE 4cyl automatic 117,000 miles

• 1993 FORD PROBE

I was driving home from Davis about a month ago when my engine stalled. I was going with the flow of traffic, about 65mph when I saw my tachometer flutter a few times then completely go to 0rpm.

so I changed the fuel filter to see if that would clean anything out and unddue any possible blockages, but it didn't seem to do anything because it happened again a few days ago. I was driving for abou a 1/2 mile in a residential area and I came to a stop sign and my engine stalled. I just put it in neutral to restart it.
then when I came back into my car later that night, the same thing happened while I was driving normally in the same streets. I tried to restart it while rolling, but it would only whine. I came to a stop, restarted it in neutral, and started driving again. Within about 5 seconds I felt the engine kick and the tachometer fluttered once.

i noticed that each time the "check engine" and "fuel cutout" lights turn on. These are the same lights that turn on if I put the key in the ignition and power up the electricals state but dont actually start the car. This reinforces me idea that the engine just completely shuts off as if i'm turning the key back to electricals only.

i've heard that probes have bad transmissions. Is this what could be wrong with it? Also, my uncle is a mechanic and says it could be the fuel pump. Do you know of any place that would diagnose such a thing (possibly for free?).

i should also state that my probe has been rough with switching gears ever since I got it. It's an automatic and it kicks fairly roughly every time it switches, harder than any other old car i've ever driven.

thank you for any assistance, I greatly appreciate it.

Thursday, June 21st, 2007 AT 3:35 PM

You can go to autozone and pull the codes for free

Thursday, June 21st, 2007 AT 9:12 PM