TRANSMISSION FLUID

2001 Ford Focus

jw0475

August, 10, 2009 AT 8:27 PM

2001 Ford Focus 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 67000 miles

I recently noticed that my Focus was leaking fluid. It has had an issue lately with losing power steering fluid so I checked the reservoir first. It was a little low so I topped it off with Prestone power steering fluid that had a " stop leak" additive in it. After looking at the fluid on the driveway it had a reddish tint to it which I assume is the automatic transmission fluid.

What could be the cause of the leak? And, what should my next steps be with this problem? Can I simply get the transmission fluid changed which may fix the issue?

Thanks in advance!

racefan966

August, 11, 2009 AT 11:28 AM

Ok so first you need to get the car on a rack so you can look at it from underneath. If the pan gasket is the leak then yes a trans service (fluid and filter change) will fix the problem. You will need to get a look at from the bottom side to determine the leak.

jw0475

August, 12, 2009 AT 4:04 PM

Thanks racefan966.I had the transmission fluid changed and the tranny checked over. The shop said the leak was not coming from the transmission but rather from the steering rack. They said it's about a $700 job. Does that price sound about right? I found the part online (remanufactured) for about $150. Could the labor really bring it up to $700?
Thanks again.

racefan966

August, 13, 2009 AT 10:53 AM

Ok here is what I come up with. They are way overpriced from what I found. According to the time and the average labor charge it calls for 2.3 hours to change the rack unit at a cost of $172.50 and then it is another 1.9 to do a 4 wheel allignment (highly recomended) for another $142.50 for a total of $315. Now if you choose to do only a 2 wheel alignment that would cost $97.50 instead. I hope that helps.

jw0475

August, 13, 2009 AT 11:19 AM

Thanks again. My uncle's dealership gave me a price of around $450 parts included. They give me a discount or will let me use a rack to do it so I may save even more. Thanks for the input. Money's tight these days and it's great to have resources to turn to. I do all my brakes, oil changes, detailing and tune ups but am afraid a steering rack may be beyond my scope! Thanks again.

racefan966

August, 13, 2009 AT 11:26 AM

No problem thanks for you support. It is all of you who keep us going. If there is anything else just ask.

Transmission Drain and Refill Kia Sportage
Automatic Transmission Service
Transmission Service Ford Super Duty F-250
Transmission Fluid Replacement Mercedes Benz
Transmission Service Toyota Tacoma