FUSIBLE LINKS

1991 Ford Festiva

budlee

April, 9, 2009 AT 5:19 AM

1991 Ford Festiva Front Wheel Drive Manual 200000 miles

Middle fusible link(main) gets extremely hot when car is running(nothing else on). IBattery is charging at 15.1 volts
I think it's overcharging any ideas?

mhpautos

April, 9, 2009 AT 5:57 AM

Hi there,

Thank you for the donation,

i agree, that charge rate is to high, I would start with getting the alternator bench tested and also check that the earths and battery terminals are clean and tight, start here.

budlee

April, 9, 2009 AT 9:46 AM

I changed out the Pos. Terminal connector on the battery and cleaned up the wires. I'm now getting a charge of 14.7vdc, this is probably normal. Can I assume that the fusible link will still stay hot to the touch when things are operating normally?

mhpautos

April, 9, 2009 AT 10:13 AM

HI there,

I feel that that charge rate is still a little high, the heat in the fusible link is a bit hard to judge with out feeling it first hand, I would still be inclined to be getting the alternator bench tested.

budlee

April, 9, 2009 AT 7:04 PM

I had the alternator tested and they say it's good but I don't feel comfortable with the charge voltage. When I say the fusible link is hot I mean smokin literally. Anymore suggestions before I take it to a garage?

mhpautos

April, 9, 2009 AT 7:08 PM

Hi there,
if it is that hot there is a short in the circuit somewhere, I will check out the wiring and post any further thoughts on the matter.

mhpautos

April, 9, 2009 AT 7:21 PM

Hi there,

Can you please identify which link is overheating? see pics.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/61395_Graphic_115.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/61395_Noname_61.jpg

budlee

April, 9, 2009 AT 7:38 PM

It's B the one marked main

mhpautos

April, 9, 2009 AT 8:01 PM

OK,

so now we know what we are looking at, start pulling the fuses of the items listed in the text and check to see if the link is still hot. Do this one at a time and give it a chance to heat up.

Mark

budlee

April, 9, 2009 AT 9:43 PM

It's getting late here so i'll check in the morning and let you know what I find. Thanks

budlee

April, 10, 2009 AT 7:59 AM

I pulled fuses one at a time with no success so I went and pulled every fuse except the engine(need that to start car) and it still has a hot link.I'm no electrical wizard but I still think it's overcharging despite the fact that the alternator passed the bench test.I think i'll take it to a Ford dealer and let them check it out. Thanks

Window Regulator and Motor Replacement Honda
Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000