F250 87 F250 DIESEL BURNS LOTS OF OIL

1987 Ford F-250

cosmetal

October, 27, 2008 AT 8:15 PM

1987 Ford F250 V8 Four Wheel Drive Manual 000000 miles

The truck fires up very easily and quickly and runs very very strong. When I start it I get a big puff of oil smoke then it runs somewhat clean. If I really get on the gas sometimes I just get black diesel smoke, sometimes I get a huge white cloud. The engine doesnt surge or hesitate or do anything out of the ordinary except burn large quantities of oil.
Also today I was putting some of that extremely thick oil that supposedly helps with the oil burning problem and I noticed that lots of air and smoke is being blown out of the crankcase where I would normally put the oil in.
I thought it might be a head gasket but im really not sure anymore. Any thoughts?

98 Leaking/burning Oil

Uses Oil

mhpautos

October, 27, 2008 AT 8:27 PM

Hi there,

The excessive black smoke is fuel smoke so I would be getting the injectors serviced, the excessive crank case pressure is due to compression leaking past the rings into the sump, this will also be part of the reason for the oil burning, get a comp test and a leak down test done, as this will give you a good idea as to the condition of the engine.

Crankcase Ventilation System
Engine Oil Change and Filter Ford Mustang
Oil Change & Filter Chevrolet Equinox