MISFIRE PROBLEM

• robbjud
  • Ford F-150

Have a 2003 Ford F-150 truck with 61,000 miles on it. Has the Triton V8 engine. About 1000 thousand miles ago it had service engine light come on. When it came on I noticed a momentary hesitation and no other problem. Checked code was a cylinder 1 misfire. No problem existed until now and it started running funny and light came on again. This time the code is for a cylinder 4 misfire. Not being very familiar with electronic ignition I am at a loss as to where to start. Any help appreciated.

Friday, March 10th, 2006 AT 8:49 AM

• peppermrj

Pretty simple system. COP (coil on plug) has 1 coil on each plug. You could have a fouled plug or bad coil. If I rember correctly # 4 is ubder a heater hose that has a tendency to leak and create problems. Bad news is that the plugs on these engines are a PITA to get to.

Good luck and let us know. : )

Saturday, March 11th, 2006 AT 8:26 PM
  • robbjud

Yea replaced the plugs. What a PITA as you said. Anyway problem is resolved. Thanks

Sunday, March 12th, 2006 AT 8:56 PM
  • 2CarPro Bob

If your problem reoccurs, now that you have replaced the plugs, your coils on cylinders (the ones that showed the misfire) 1 & 4 will need replacing.

Sunday, March 26th, 2006 AT 8:48 PM