F150 INTERMITTENT ROUGH IDLE

2001 Ford F-150

supercrewcab

December, 16, 2009 AT 10:34 AM

2001 Ford F150 V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 90000 miles

I have a 2001 Ford F150 Supercrewcab 4X4 with an intermittent idle problem. Seems to only do it when the truck is in drive and only once in awhile. It will idle down too low then recover usually. It actually died on my wife yesterday, which was scary. When in park it seems to idle fine and I don't detect any misses or issues when driving down the road.

No codes are set and the check engine light does not come on. I'm suspecting the IAC or something related to that area.

merlin2021

December, 17, 2009 AT 2:58 AM

Could be an IAC, have you tried cleaning the throttle body and IAC, check it for carbon deposit holding the pintle from free movement. When was your last tune up? MAF can also do this, unplug it MAF and test drive it. This will set a code, but if it is the MAF, the PCM will sub mid range numbers to run the engine.

supercrewcab

December, 17, 2009 AT 12:01 PM

I checked the IAC yesterday. Pulled it off checked voltage input per manual, checked good. Checked the IACs resistances all check good. Looked for obvious carbon build etc. Didn't see much.

My wife drove it yesterday after I did the above and said the RPMs never dipped below 600, so maybe it was just dirty connection.

I'm going to check the Throttle body for carbon build-up anyway and the line going from the PCV valve to TB.

Then the MAF.

merlin2021

December, 19, 2009 AT 2:10 PM

OK Let us know how it goes!

supercrewcab

December, 19, 2009 AT 5:31 PM

Since I took the IAC valve and cleaned it, the truck has been idling dead on, so I'm not going to mess with it anymore. We're driving up to Shelton, Wa on Monday from SoCal that should test it out pretty well.

merlin2021

December, 24, 2009 AT 7:06 AM

Ok, give us an update!

supercrewcab

December, 30, 2009 AT 4:35 PM

Okay, We made the trip to Washington. The idle fluctated on the last day of our visit (27* outside). We hit the road and she ran fine all the way home with no further idling problems. I've gone ahead and changed the IAC valve and will see if the problem clears. Due to the intermitancy of it, it'll be a while before I'm sure it's good. I figure the IAC valve was sticking causing the fluctuations. I don't think it's vacuum related because I'd see the problem more consistantly.

IAC Valve was $50.00, so not too expensive to try.

I'll provide an update in a few days.

merlin2021

December, 30, 2009 AT 5:18 PM

Ok I'll be here!

supercrewcab

January, 11, 2010 AT 9:56 AM

Well, it's been over a week now and the truck is running perfect so I would say it was the AIC valve. Thanks for the help.

merlin2021

Good work, thanks!

sportsfan

January, 14, 2010 AT 10:16 AM

I just came across this post -- I have a 2000 f150 supercab 4x4 with 5.4 motor w/ 131K miles. I live in MA. I have been having an issue where when I pull up to a stop sign or a red light the idle will be rough and it will feel like it wants to stall but doesn't. This happens everyonce in a while. Once I start moving it goes away. It seems to be fine in park. I recently had my alternator and battery replaced and the issue has been occuring on since then (4 weeks ago). The next day after the alternator was replaced the check engine light came on -- the garage checked it and it read Lean Bank 1 and Lean Bank 2 - both indicators of the MAF sensor. They reset the code and it has not tripped the check engine light since. Could it be the MAF? Also, the plugs and coil paks were changed about a year ago.

I appreciate any feedback that you may have.

Cylinder Head Valve Job Guide
Vacuum Leak Test and Repair - All Cars
Fuel Injector Replacement Ford 5.4L V8
Spark Plug Replacement Toyota Corolla 2000-20