1997 Ford F-150XLT

MADMAN2008
  • 1997 FORD F-150
My battery will not stay charged! I have changed the altinator 3 times now finally having a good one! Bought a new battery and it still will not stay charged, but when I am going down the road and the battery goes dead my truck keeps running until I kill it! And I have checked all fuses in my truck and all wires, but still havent found the problem!
Wednesday, May 10th, 2006 AT 4:22 PM

LOSONE
I think you have a ground problem. Clean all ground connections from the battery to the engine, battery to the frame and engiine to the fire wall. Shiny clean

Do the same with the + side. Make sure the battery is disconnected when you do. Also the red wire from the battery to the under hood connector. Let me know
Wednesday, May 10th, 2006 AT 4:26 PM
MADMAN2008
ALL OF THE WIRES ARE CLEAN DO U THINK IT COULD BE MY STARTER BECAUSE IT TRIES TO GIVE ME TROUBLE STARTING
Wednesday, May 10th, 2006 AT 7:16 PM
LOSONE
Perhaps. I would replace the starter solonoid first. It is located on the fender well. Ford starters are a high failure item. Let me know
Thursday, May 11th, 2006 AT 7:14 AM
MADMAN2008
I HAVE CHANGE THAT TO SO CAN IT BE MY STARTER IF SO LET ME KNOW
Thursday, May 11th, 2006 AT 8:12 AM
LOSONE
It could be the starter. Please don't put on a "Zone" starter as they often cause grief.
Thursday, May 11th, 2006 AT 8:28 AM
MADMAN2008
A autozone starter
-1
Thursday, May 11th, 2006 AT 9:08 AM
LOSONE
Hopefully it works. The last Ford Zone starter I used came apart and destroyed the flywheel and front pump on the transmission. Turns out it was a used starter that was cleaned and painted and reboxed and sold.

Maybe your luck will be better
Thursday, May 11th, 2006 AT 10:06 AM
MADMAN2008
How many bolts is holding the starter on bcause I took out three out all really I dont see know more around it could be holding it
Thursday, May 11th, 2006 AT 1:04 PM
LOSONE
Unless Ford has changed their design, it has 3 bolts. It looks like the pry and wiggle trick. Good luck
Friday, May 12th, 2006 AT 7:18 AM
MADMAN2008
Well hao do I get it off
Friday, May 12th, 2006 AT 2:11 PM
LOSONE
Starter shows 2 bolts.

I don't know about Louisana but us Mississippi folks would use a piece of wood and gentle tap the wood with a hammer. Corrision sometime builds up around the collar and is frozen in place. Good luck
Friday, May 12th, 2006 AT 2:33 PM
MADMAN2008
I got it out it was bad I left a bolt I had to get it out then it droped right out
Friday, May 12th, 2006 AT 5:01 PM
LOSONE
Good job. A friends new F-150 went under 3' of salt water here in Biloxi during Katrina. It took him over a week to chisel the starter out--he too forget one bolt. I am glad you found it. Good luck
Friday, May 12th, 2006 AT 5:29 PM