1996 Ford F-150 noises

ROBERT.BLACK.047
  • 1996 FORD F-150
Was not having any trouble, preformed complete tune up, after oil change engine sounds like diesel on start up and low idle. Oil press and temps are normal, everything running fine. Can see plenty of oil circulating under valve cover. Tried changing oil & filter, switched from 30 to40 wt, with no change. Is this a sign of something mechanica starting to breakdown?
Sunday, July 19th, 2009 AT 10:33 AM

M_H_RITZEL
What is happening? You did a complete tune up and now the idle is low and it sounds like like a diesel, check your work that you did. Especially the wires and plugs. What it sounds like is that there could be two spark wires crossed.
Monday, July 20th, 2009 AT 8:38 AM
ROBERT.BLACK.047
Diesel noise started after oil change, which led me to tune up, problem didnt change
Wednesday, July 22nd, 2009 AT 2:41 PM
M_H_RITZEL
Lets see 1996 you should srtill be able to do it. You say that you did the oild change first then the engine started to sound like a diesel engine, that is when you did the tune up, Right? I don't see where cjanging the oil to a heaver oil would do it. Try resetting the computer. Has the engine light been on? Disconnect the negative side of battery and leave off for a minute or two, then reconnect, to completly reset the computer the truck has to be drive about 50 miles, this does not have to be done all at once. The computer could have picked up on a code that changed the timing a degree or two. I don't know if this will straighten the problem but somehow I feel that the computer picked up on the change in volocity of the oil. Let me know what happens. We have a very good ford moderator and will check with him to see what he says.
Thursday, July 23rd, 2009 AT 8:42 AM