F150 REPLACE PCM

1993 Ford F-150

bgoing2

July, 28, 2008 AT 4:39 PM

1993 Ford F150 V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 151000 miles

How to replace PCM?

BMRFIXIT

July, 28, 2008 AT 6:01 PM

Its rarely fail
why are u replacing it?

Its located on left side firewall by the brake power booster

bgoing2

July, 28, 2008 AT 7:48 PM

My truck initially (sometimes not all the time) was starting really hard (once 10 - 15 minutes), once started had very little power, then would suddenly engage. Once up to speed it acted like one of it's tanks had run out of gas, bucking for a moment or two then running okay - though gas was fine. It would do this without warning at different speeds but generally at 55 - 60 mphs. Sometimes not at all. Took into a shop and we changed plugs, checked wires and changed out fuel filter. While test driving ran fine. Several days later, started bucking much more frequently, shifted from 1st to 2nd with a hard bang and would not shift to 3rd. In addition the engine check light would come on. Check light would go off and it would run fine for a few minutes then back to running rough and wanting to stall. When it did stall it restarted easily but would want to stall again. Took it to Ford dealership to have it tested but they reported they had done an upgrade on their computer equipment and were unable to analyze a 1993 motor. Took it to AAMCO, they checked it out and said I needed a new computer. Approx. $460 parts and labor. Called another Ford dealership and they said $560 but would try to give discount to get closer to AAMCO price. Very generous of them. Not!

BMRFIXIT

July, 28, 2008 AT 8:05 PM

I think they are trying to take the easy way out

I don't believe its the PCM
check with a local repair shop most of them still have the old scanners
to help u out
good luck

bgoing2

July, 28, 2008 AT 8:09 PM

What does it sound like to you?

BMRFIXIT

July, 28, 2008 AT 8:19 PM

Check the EGR and its operation

bgoing2

July, 28, 2008 AT 8:30 PM

Sounds logical. When it is acting up I can also smell something different but can't quite put my finger on it. Similar to the smell you get when a new car hits the throttle hard when you are behind it.

BMRFIXIT

July, 28, 2008 AT 9:10 PM

Disconnect the egr and give it a try

Replace PCM Computer