DIES AFTER JUMP START CABLE DISCONNECT

Ford Explorer

andyti

July, 22, 2006 AT 11:13 PM

I'm sure this has been questioned hundreds of times but I can't pin-point the answer. Thanks in advance for your advice!

We've got this Explorer that was starting fine until today. Rapid clicks when the key is turned. She was left sitting for 10 hours and started right up but then, I tried to lower the power window and she died.

So I jump started her and she fired right up. When I disconnected the cable, she died.

I guess if I leave the good car running and connected a while, the dead battery can charge up a bit more and hopefully she'll keep running?

What do you think is the root of this issue? Old battery, alternator? Battery cables are pretty corroded. I'm gonna clean and re-attach those thoroughly tomorry.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Ford
Explorer
1991
90,000

TaurusWheel

July, 23, 2006 AT 10:25 AM

If the charging system is good, the car will run, if the charging system is bad, it'll run until the battery is too low to power the car, that's what reserve capacity is for, that's the number of minutes in theory the car will continue to run, usually listed as 120 minutes, something along those lines, give the wiirng a good cleaning.

andyti

July, 23, 2006 AT 9:27 PM

Thanks! I went ahead and replaced the battery and alternator and now she's good to go.

Battery Replacement
Battery Replacement Guide
Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011
Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006
Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000
Alternator testing done right