I'm sure this has been questioned hundreds of times but I can't pin-point the answer. Thanks in advance for your advice!
We've got this Explorer that was starting fine until today. Rapid clicks when the key is turned. She was left sitting for 10 hours and started right up but then, I tried to lower the power window and she died.
So I jump started her and she fired right up. When I disconnected the cable, she died.
I guess if I leave the good car running and connected a while, the dead battery can charge up a bit more and hopefully she'll keep running?
What do you think is the root of this issue? Old battery, alternator? Battery cables are pretty corroded. I'm gonna clean and re-attach those thoroughly tomorry.
If the charging system is good, the car will run, if the charging system is bad, it'll run until the battery is too low to power the car, that's what reserve capacity is for, that's the number of minutes in theory the car will continue to run, usually listed as 120 minutes, something along those lines, give the wiirng a good cleaning.
July, 23, 2006 AT 9:27 PM
Thanks! I went ahead and replaced the battery and alternator and now she's good to go.