KEY STUCK IN IGNITION/DRIVER DOOR POWER

2003 Ford Explorer

henschel

December, 1, 2008 AT 8:48 AM

2003 Ford Explorer 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 89000 miles

I have three problems. All fuses appear to be working.
#1 Driver door lock/unlock not working, yet the passenger lock/unlock works. Recent issue, past month
#2 BIG PROBLEM PAST WEEK: Can not remove key from ignition, key is not turning back completely to position 1. The buzzer continues going off even if all doors closed (and door ajar light remains on). I can remove the key (turn completely back to position 1) ONLY AFTER disconnecting the battery. I called my local Ford mechanic who said they'd never heard of such a problem and it would cost me $99 just to have them run a test!
#3 Not sure if the door ajar light is connected to the main problem because the door ajar light had been staying on over the past six months and may be connected to the back tailgate (a replace job Ford did that's not " been normal" since the job was done).

James W.

December, 1, 2008 AT 1:49 PM

#1 window switch. I would check out put of driver's door switch. Being the driver's side gets used the most, it is usually the one to fail.
#2 Ignition key. Try pushing the shift lever harder into park and then turning off the ingition to remove the key. The ignition switch may have to be adjusted to allow the key to be turned further back. Also, there is an electro/mechanical lock under the dash that won't allow you to shift out of park unless the brake is depressed. This may need adjusting.
#3 door adjar light. The switches that activate this light are inside the doors attached to the door latch. They have a tendancy to stick. Spray all the latches liberally with a spray silicone lube of some type and open and close a few times. If it's not a bad switch, this should take care of it. Hope this helps.

GM Key Fob Programming
Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006
Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011
Battery Replacement Guide
Battery Replacement
Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000