TEMP GAGE GOES UP

2001 Ford Explorer

dandinkins

April, 21, 2010 AT 5:15 PM

Engine Cooling problem
2001 Ford Explorer 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic

Temp gage goes up when sitting in traffic, new water pump, fluid is full no leaks, fan and fan clutch seem te be working fine.

Please Help

Jacobandnickolas

April, 22, 2010 AT 1:55 PM

It sounds like the fan clutch isn't working properly. Are you sure it is? Have you had the radiator flushed?

dandinkins

April, 22, 2010 AT 3:21 PM

I have not had radiator flushed, the clutch feals tight when I try to spin the fan. Should I try changing the thermostate?

Jacobandnickolas

April, 23, 2010 AT 6:24 AM

I would recommend both, the thermostat and flushing the radiator. Please keep in mind, what you have described (getting hot sitting in traffic) usually indicates the fan clutch. Here is why. If the vehicle runs at a normal temp when moving, that tells me the t-stat and cooling system are working. However, when sitting, the temp under the hood should lock the fan so it spins at the same speed as the engine. Even though it feels tight, it may still be the problem.

Let me know what you think.

Radiator Replacement Mercedes Benz ML 500
Radiator Replacement Kia Sportage
Thermostat Replacement Chrysler PT Cruiser
Thermostat Replacement Chevrolet Blazer
Thermostat Replacement Mercedes Benz C230