I have heard a lot about about a whining coming from the rear end differential, it seems to be a popular problem owners complain about.
The whining noise could also be your power steering pump.
Try doing this to eliminate a few things.
(1) Check you power steering fluid level.
(2) Let the explorer run and let it get to normal running temperature. And turn the engine off.
(3) Pull out your trans fluid level dip stick and look at the color of the fluid on the stick.
(4) Does it look red? Let a little drip on a paper towel or white rag.
(5) Smell the fluid that is on the dip stick and see if the burning smell is present on the stick."Exactly" as the smell your noticing.
Let me know what's up with those things.
Saturday, November 21st, 2009 AT 11:44 AM