1998 Ford Explorer Unidentified Noises

• 1 POST

Noises problem
1998 Ford Explorer 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 110000 miles

I have a SOHC 4x4 Eddie Bauer Ford Explorer, I have had it for about a year and it was well maintained by the previous owner. I am now having a lot of problems with what I was told is the rack and pinion or something in that area. When I drive there is what I would call a rotating/thumping noise coming from under my feet. I knew my shocks were bad so I have already replaced that. And just yesterday my bushings on one side of what I think is my sway bar cracked and fell off. So I now have a hanging bar under my front end. When I first got the car there was a loud thunking noise when you pulled in or out of a parking stall (Turning the wheel hard to either side, this sound has already gone away) I took it to a mechanic they said they were unable to make the noise but if they put the diagnostic rod on the rack and pinion there was some slight noise coming from that area. I am at a loss as to what the sounds are and what needs to get fixed. No one can apparently just tell me what to check, and everyone wants to charge me an arm and a leg just to look! HELP

Thursday, August 6th, 2009 AT 4:11 PM

• 500 POSTS

The place to start is to replace the sway bar links and bushings as necessary. This is a classic noisemaker, and may solve the noise problem.

Sunday, August 9th, 2009 AT 9:37 AM