BATTERY?

1997 Ford Explorer

mlubotina

September, 22, 2009 AT 8:53 AM

1997 Ford Explorer 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 150000 miles

When I left work yesterday and started my car I noticed all of my radio stations and clock had to be reset, the truck started without hesitation but this morning when I tried to start nothing happened like I had a dead battery, however when I tried to turn it over again my lights came on but would not start just clicked when I tried to start. I did this a few times then it started. I am wondering if this is the battery or the starter. I just replaced the starter about three years ago and the battery about the same time.

Not Charging Battery

Battery Will Not Charge

Jacobandnickolas

September, 23, 2009 AT 8:14 AM

Before anything, make sure the battery terminals and ground to the engine block are clean and tight. Clean and tighten if needed. If they are good, have the battery load tested at a parts store. They will do it for free. NOTE: Based on your description of the presets on the radio, I thing the problem lies within the wiring from the battery.

mlubotina

September, 23, 2009 AT 8:51 AM

Thank you and you are right the terminals were no good and I had replaced now the truck starts up without a problem.

Jacobandnickolas

September, 23, 2009 AT 10:22 AM

I'm glad it was an easy fix. Always remember. If it's an electrical problem, start at the power source, the battery, before moving on.

Let us know if you have questions in the future, let us know.

Battery Replacement
Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006
Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011
Battery Replacement Guide
Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000
Alternator testing done right