POWER STEERING PROBLEM?

1995 Ford Explorer

JAVAF

August, 15, 2008 AT 8:15 PM

Steering problem
1995 Ford Explorer 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 180000 miles

I have a 1995 Ford Explorer, and when I turn, the steering wheel shimmies and shakes. I checked the power steering fluid and it is full. Could this be a problem with the pump?

Thanx

merlin2021

August, 15, 2008 AT 8:25 PM

Bad pumps usually whine, this could be the steering column itself, and if it is, it's not real safe to drive, have it looked at quickly!

Service Writer

August, 15, 2008 AT 8:26 PM

Was it in the air latley? Up on a lift that is?

IF so drive it a few days and it should be fine.

IF not, there may be air cavitation in the pump which may be able to be drawn out. But if not, then the pressures in the lines should be checked for excessive pressure.

JAVAF

August, 15, 2008 AT 10:17 PM

I just recently had my fuel pump changed so im assuming it was up in the air because before I took it to the shop to get the fuel pump done it steered fine. Do you still believe this is dangerous to drive? Thanx for your quick response.

JAVAF

August, 15, 2008 AT 11:15 PM

Hey I took your advice and drove it around a bit and it quit shaking. Thanx for your advice and I really appreciate the quick responses. Just one question, why did it do that? Thanx again!

Service Writer

August, 16, 2008 AT 6:29 AM

I'm not sure why it does it. Every once in a while it happens. First time I ran into it I freaked out trying to figure out what the heck happened, but it went away while driving, and thats how I handle it now.

merlin2021

August, 16, 2008 AT 6:47 AM

Good worp P. I havent run into this one. YET! My guess is the tires tip in, when up in the air.

Service Writer

August, 16, 2008 AT 6:53 AM

Do you think it is a separation in the suspension? Ball joints stretched out? Struts? Lol. I'm really at a loss to understand it. I can't see how the power steering would be affected.

merlin2021

August, 16, 2008 AT 7:12 AM

As Spock once said " unknown Captain!&Quot;

Power Steering Fluid Flush Acura MDX 2000-200
Power Steering Fluid Flush Chevrolet Blazer
Power Steering Fluid Check Acura TSX
Power Steering Fluid Change Kia Sportage
Power Steering Pump Replacement Chevy Tahoe
Steering Pump Replacement Mercedes Benz