1994 Ford Explorer bad idle and losing power

• 1 POST

1994 Ford Explorer 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 111000 miles

i have my car doing somthing not right everytime I hit the high way and do the speed limit and its 60 mph the car drive for 5 min on this speed and then it lose power and start to slow down to 45 mph and I have to stop for a min while the engine is running and then I hit back the road and it goes back strong again for 5 min and then it start to do it again and lose power down to 45 mph I dont know what to do I checked if there is a vacuum leak somwhere but I dont see anything there check engine light cam one when the car pas the 40 to 45 mph I got codes and its says EGR valve and I checked that to and nothing wrong with it? Help plzzz

Saturday, April 18th, 2009 AT 2:59 AM

• 500 POSTS

One good possibility is that the engine may be starving for fuel. Has the fuel filter been replaced within the last year or so? Check fuel pressure - WHILE the engine is losing power. There is also the possibility of a weak fuel pump. Another possibility is a blocked or partially blocked catalytic converter. You can check for this (if the fuel pressure is OK) by attaching a vacuum gauge and driving the car. A blocked converter will cause the vacuum to fade down to 12" or less.

EGR problems will not cause such a loss of power. Normal symptoms of EGR problems are stalling and generally rough running. Usually not a loss of power.

Sunday, April 19th, 2009 AT 9:25 AM