Wipers will not work

STARJAN
  • 1991 FORD ESCORT

I have an LX 1.9L four cylinder.
First my windshield wipers quit working on intermittent it would only work on high and low. Now they have completely stopped. I can still spray windshield washer fluid but that is all. I thought it was a fuse so I checked all the fuses and they are fine. Then I thought it was the windshield wiper motor so I bought a new one and replaced it and still nothing. So then I thought it was the windshield wiper switch and after calling various auto parts places I finally found a place that had it in stock, but they ended up selling me the whole steering column with a working wiper switch. So I changed the whole steering column and still no wipers. All my lights, horn, turn signals, etc. But no wipers. Not on high, low or intermittent. Nothing. What else could it be? I have checked all the wiring, fuses, etc. I am desperate for help. Thank you so much.

Sunday, April 22nd, 2007 AT 4:33 PM

STARJAN

Okay, I tried that and still nothing. I did however locate a relay behind the dash kind of straight up from the floor on the left side of steering column. It says Relay Wiper on it and has a lot of numbers and letters on it so I wrote all them down in case that is what it was. What do you think? Thank you.

-1
Monday, April 23rd, 2007 AT 2:43 PM
STARJAN

I have been able to try the second test because its been raining out and I do not have a garage so I have to wait for it to let up first. But, I found out about a three way toggle switch that will work with intermittent wipers and I wanted to know do you know how to properly hook that up. No auto parts store, dealership, junk yard, car lot, etc. In the two to three counties around me have the relay and the only place that does wants to charge me about a hundred dollars and they said they aren't even sure if it will work or not and they do not do refunds so I really do not want to pay that and without having a guarantee its the part I need. So if you have any idea of how to do that I would greatly appreciate it! Thank you for all your help I really appreciate it! :)

-1
Thursday, April 26th, 2007 AT 2:49 PM
STARJAN

Okay, I tried everything you said and for some reason I still cannot get my wipers to move at all. You said that I could probably use my actual switch. Do you have any idea of how I could "wire it up straight"? I really do not see many other alternatives. No one around where I live knows anything about wiper relays for Ford Escorts or how to wire the wipers up and bypass the relay. Also, I do not mind losing my intermittent function it is a small price to pay to have working wipers. If you could help me in anyway I would be extremely grateful! Thank you so much for all your help! Oh and before I forget this is what the toggle switch looks like.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/70290_2004FEB03A_1.jpg

-1
Saturday, April 28th, 2007 AT 11:54 PM
STARJAN

Okay, I did what you just said and the only wires with power on them were the black wire on the left and the blue wire on the other side. :) Thank you.

Sunday, April 29th, 2007 AT 12:42 PM
STARJAN

Okay, when I tested the black wire it lit up. Then I checked the dark blue wire and it lit up. I ran each wire to the terminals like you said. Nothing happened. I replaced the wiper motor with a new one that is the first thing I did and it did n't work so I don't think its the motor. However, I replaced a blown fuse and when I turned the wiper switch they moved straight up but are now stuck in that position and wont move. I replaced the motor, the switch (actually I just bought the whole steering column and put that in) and then I replaced all my fuses. I also tested all the wires and ran them exactly like you told me (I printed off your directions and followed them to the letter) and still nothing. But when I took the wiper relay off to let an auto parts place try and match it up when I put it back on the wipers started working for about a minute and then they stopped and wouldn't work. So I turned the switch on and off to see if they would work and they didn't. I also don't hear the motor run or click or anything. So what else can I do?

-1
Sunday, April 29th, 2007 AT 1:48 PM
STARJAN

First of all let me just say that I truly appreciate all your help. You have been the only person who has tried to help me and I really appreciate it. You will be pleased to know that I got it fixed today! I took the relay to this TV Repair Shop that has been around for years and the guy there repaired the relay and then another guy checked all my wires and fixed all of them and now the wipers run and work on all three settings. Thank you so much! I can never repay you enough for what you have done to try and help me. Sincerely, Starjan.

-1
Monday, April 30th, 2007 AT 8:22 PM
BMELLOTT
  • FORD ESCORT
  • MERGED

My car is a 1997. The wipers only go half way up than go back down. They do not go all the way up. Do you know if it is the motor?

Thanks,
Brandy

Friday, December 30th, 2016 AT 5:04 PM
BOOTDOG
  • MERGED

I am sure on the Ford's the motor is one unit, as in the mechanical part and electrical part, are together. Replace the motor and it should be fine.

Friday, December 30th, 2016 AT 5:04 PM
HARAHCOOKIE
  • MERGED

I just bought a used 1995 Ford Escort and on the way home the windshield wipers started running on their own. I had not activated them and when I tried to turn them off I got no results. Eventually they turned off on their own, but a few minutes later they started up again. This time they would not shut off, and now they will not turn off unless I turn the car off and they turn right back on when I start up the car.
Please advise.

Friday, December 30th, 2016 AT 5:04 PM
BMELLOTT
  • MERGED

I was wondering if you may also think it could be the linkage?

Friday, December 30th, 2016 AT 5:04 PM