04 MISFIRE CODE IN #5 CYLINDER

2004 Ford Escape

kms9827

March, 29, 2010 AT 3:22 PM

2004 Ford Escape 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 85,000 miles

I have a 2004 Ford Escape XLT, 3.0 L V-6 with 85k miles on it. A few weeks ago, while raining, the car began to sputter and the check engine light came on. I parked the car, and the next day when it was dry, it ran perfectly with no check engine light. A few days ago, it began sputtering again, the check engine light came back on, and the car had poor acceleration, almost coming to a stop when going up hills. I ran the diagnostics and came up with a P0305 code, indicating a misfire in cylinder #5. I also received a code telling me there was excess fuel in my exhaust (which coincides with a misfire). I replaced ALL of the spark plugs, and still had the same problem. I then replaced the Coil on the #5 cylinder. After replacing both the plug and coil in cylinder #5, I am still getting a misfire code for cylinder #5, the spark plug in cylinder 5 smells like gasoline, which tells me that it isn't making a spark, and I can hear a loud " clicking" noise coming from around the coils. Would this be a wiring harness problem?

Engine Miss

Jacobandnickolas

May, 4, 2010 AT 1:43 PM

Have you checked the plug in that cylender to see if it getting spark? Also, try this. In the dark, start the car and open the hood to see if there is arcing near that coil / cylender. Mist some water on the electrical components to see if that makes it worse or creates an arc.

Let me know what you find.

kms9827

August, 26, 2010 AT 11:55 AM

OK, the plugs (both the old one and the new one) in cylinder 5 are not sparking. When I spray water over the coil, the engine sounds like it is going to stall. The COP is brand new, which is pointing me back to a wiring problem. I heard from a Ford mechanic that 2004 Escapes are known to have a problem with the wiring harness coming from the PCM to the COP's corroding or even breaking inside the insulation. Does that sound plausible?

Jacobandnickolas

August, 26, 2010 AT 8:54 PM

Yes that is very possible. Have you checked it?

escape owner

March, 24, 2011 AT 6:30 AM

I had the same problem and it leads to clogged Cats. The misfiring sends unburned fuel into the Catalytic Converter thereby clogging it. This is a common problem with Escapes. Don't drive it when misfiring and get the problem fixed.