TRANSMISSION PROBLEM

Ford E-Series Van

heartlady48

July, 17, 2007 AT 1:39 AM

I have a 2000 Ford Econoline van with approx 72,000 miles on it. It is a 6 cylinder engine. We bought the van used in March of 2007 and it ran great until this weekend. While traveling to visit friends, driving down the interstate at about 65 mph the van stopped its forward motion and sounded as if I had accidently knocked it into neutral. I checked to be sure it was in gear and unfortunately it was. We were only about 30 miles from where we were going and the van would drive in 2nd gear so we drove very slowly and have left it there for now. It goes into reverse, 1st and 2nd without any problem but according to the mechanic when it tries to shift into 3rd or 4th it goes into a " false" neutral. He has tried to check the computer but cannot get it to, in his terms, " fireup". Can you please help me with an idea of what could be wrong or how to get the computer to come on so we can be sure of the problem? He said there was no shavings in the pan when he dropped it and the fluid is not burnt smelling. Being the van was used it didn't have an owners manual.

Jack42

July, 18, 2007 AT 2:48 PM

If the computer wont communicate with his scanner, then check all fuses first. Then will have to verify powers and grounds at the comp. If it still wont communicate then it could be bad

Jeffseiver

August, 6, 2007 AT 1:07 AM

Same problem, third transmission. Slips into nuetral at high speed. The C 4 trans takes 12 quarts of t-fluid. ( Check you owners manual) But the wire dip stick is unreadable. You will have to have the filter and seal changened and then count the proper quarts of fluid you put in. Make sure that the trans is not leaking. Also at about 70thousand the right rear axel should be changed because of wear from the bearings. Better to do it before it costs more money. Your mechanic should have known this. Call Bob Riley in Bull Head city or take your van to him He's the Bong! When it comes to master mechanics

Automatic Transmission Service
Transmission Fluid Replacement Mercedes Benz
Transmission Service Toyota Tacoma
Transmission Drain and Refill Kia Sportage
Transmission Service Ford Super Duty F-250