My Contour won't start?

KIMVNEB
  • FORD CONTOUR
Today I tried to start my 98 Ford Contour for the first time in about 5 days because it had been snowing. I started my car two days ago and it worked fine, but today was going out and tried to start it and it wouldn't. When I tried to start, it made a sound like it was sliding I guess. I know absolutely nothing about cars so I don't know about technical terms lol. Usually when I try to start it, it's like it grabs then starts, but this time it's like it couldn't grab? I don't know how to explain it really. I was thinking it might be not enough oil because I've been forgetting to put it in, but I have no idea if that would affect it not starting.

I'm trying to avoid towing it so any help would be appreciated.
Friday, January 26th, 2007 AT 3:20 PM

BUBBA_KOSKI
Test your battery at any parts store. If its a sluggish start get back with me for more info.
Friday, January 26th, 2007 AT 7:24 PM
SERVICE WRITER
Certainly check you oil level and make sure it's good.

Does the engine crank (turn over)-the noise you hear before it normally starts when you turn the key all the way?

Or does it make a noise you usually don't hear when the key is turned all the way?
Friday, January 26th, 2007 AT 7:40 PM
KIMVNEB
I dont think it's making a sound like it's trying to turn over. I guess I could describe it like it's two pieces of metal sliding against each other.

Edit: I tried again a few minutes ago and now it sounds more like it's trying to turn over
Saturday, January 27th, 2007 AT 2:00 AM
CARUNDELL
I dont think it's making a sound like it's trying to turn over. I guess I could describe it like it's two pieces of metal sliding against each other.[/Quote:2e3cee967f]

Hey Kim,
See if you can get a friend to help you with a jump start. Sounds like the battery may have lost a bit of its charge Let us know!

Chris
Saturday, January 27th, 2007 AT 4:50 AM