- VALVE JOB

1988 Ford Bronco

Diverdan

September, 13, 2007 AT 12:44 PM

I have a 1988 full size ford bronco, 302 fuel injected, 90K miles. I have confirmed that I have ZERO compression in cylinder 8 and I am about to pull the heads to do a complete valve job. (another mechinic confirmed I have a burnt valve) My questions are this. If I stage the engine at top dead center, do I still have to remove all the rocker arms, springs, rods , etc before I pull the heads, or will TDC take the tension off the springs? should I also pull the intake maniford and replace the lifters as well? During this valve job do you recommend that I replace all the rocker arms, rods, and springs or use the same already in place?

This is a hobby for me, not a profession and I can find the Torques, etc in the regular chilton's manual for repairs. Do you also suggest I pull the engine for this job? I plan a full restoration on this 4 wheel drive vehicle and will also put a lift kit on it. I am thinking about a 6 inch lift. If you have a package for the lift kit, let me know, but I have to fix the engine problem first. I have already repainted the vehicle and look forward to getting this job done when I get back in the states. Thankx for your help and I WILL make a donation. - Dan

Please respond directly to smpd212 at yahoo dot com as well as a response here

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/99731_Bronco_1.jpg

. I am currently in Baghdad and rarely get on the net, but can check my mail regularly.

September, 14, 2007 AT 3:35 PM

Welcome to 2carpros

My kind of Bronco-it'll be nice if you can dump in a 460 in it. About the top side-pull the engine and get comfortable while doing it standing-the shortcut way is a backbreaker.

Put the engine on no.1 compression stroke-make sure the piston is all the way up. Then yank it out, Pull the heads and get a complete valve job have the machinist decide what needs to be replace.

About the head just loosen the rocker arms to relief the spring tension-makes sure you mark everything where one goes to where-

You take care and keep your head down and God bless you freedom fighter.

Good luck

Diverdan

September, 14, 2007 AT 11:03 PM

Thanks Raxmataz, can you recommend the best manual for this job and also an engine stand? I will order them now and have them delivered by the time I get home. I have a overhead winch in the shop large enough to pull the engine, but would like a stand. The picture below is when I first picked it up and before the body and paint work.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/99731_Bronco_Before_1.jpg

September, 15, 2007 AT 12:21 AM

[/quote:162787b924]

Okay Navyseal Dan-its better a nut behind the wheel than a beer can lol.

My advised is get a service manual for that model/year and for the stand a seal can make anything lol its about maybe $100 or less-

BTW below the posts you'll see something about buying manuals-if you need me holler

You take care and keep your stuff wired we'll be waiting for you to come home-God bless you and tell the Guys and Gals 2carpros appreciates it. Freedom is not cheap I've been there before in Vietnam

Good Luck

Diverdan

September, 15, 2007 AT 2:00 AM

[/quote]

Good Luck[/quote]

Well, not exactly a Navy Seal, more in the line of former airborne infantry, 20 year retired cop now doing diplomatic security. Thanks, brother! As you can see I am a visual person :)

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/99731_Dan23_1.jpg

September, 15, 2007 AT 3:46 AM

Good Luck[/quote]

[/quote]

Seal or No Seal I see an american and I know you're not from there lol.you holler when you need more info. You hea! Take care Bro...

Cylinder Head Valve Job Guide
Coolant Temperature Sender Replacement
Valve Cover Gasket Replacement Toyota Corolla
Spark Plug Replacement Ford Explorer 4.6L V8