Ford Bantam power steering pump replacement

DEATHSTALKER380
  • 2007 FORD BANTAM
Does anyone know how to remove the steel hose or pipe that goes into the power steering pump? I'm having trouble taking off the fitting that is on the end of the pipe. I have the new unit but I don't want to just unbolt the old pipe and just screw that into the new one as the seal on the old one is broken. Thanks in advance
Friday, January 15th, 2016 AT 4:37 AM

PACO8224
You can easily match the o ring at your local parts store, easier and safer
+1
Friday, January 15th, 2016 AT 8:15 AM
DEATHSTALKER380
Too bad the part that ford sold me has a smaller hole diameter than the old part
Friday, January 15th, 2016 AT 8:34 AM
PACO8224
Is the pump still in the vehicle or do you have it out
Friday, January 15th, 2016 AT 8:38 AM
DEATHSTALKER380
Well I just finished putting the old one back. But now every time I turn the wheel there are ungodly noises coming from the pump
Friday, January 15th, 2016 AT 8:41 AM
PACO8224
I was going to say if you had it out you can use air gun to take out that bolt you needed out easily. And that noise is a lot of air in your system. Just gotta make sure it's full of fluid and keep turnning wheel
Friday, January 15th, 2016 AT 8:51 AM
DEATHSTALKER380
No that thing is way too tight on there. Here is a photo of the part that's giving me so much trouble. The new unit has this thing in it already all I need to do is take out the high pressure line and pop it into the new unit but unfortunately that's easier said than done. Also I think my old pump has seen its last days because I've been turning the wheel now for about 20 min and it's still making that noise.
+1
Friday, January 15th, 2016 AT 9:10 AM
DIFFERENT GUY

TRYING TO GET THE NUT OUT?

I SEE TOOL MARKS ON THE TUBE?

SEND PIC OF THE NEW ONE, HOLD IT IN THE SAME POSITION AS THE OTHER ONE

Friday, January 15th, 2016 AT 5:04 PM
DEATHSTALKER380
Yes there are tool marks on the tube as I'm no professional when it comes to taking out high pressure lines lol. Here are some pics of the new unit
Friday, January 15th, 2016 AT 10:51 PM
MHPAUTOS
I would be replacing the high pressure hose with the pump, then bleed the system of air.
Saturday, January 16th, 2016 AT 2:10 AM
SIRK_CT
Sorry to dredge this post up, but I have a similar problem with a twist.

Ford changed the port size somewhere around 2010, making it smaller, and my 2006 model can't fix into the new pump.

I need to get the pipe off so that I can have the screw fixing on the pump side replaced, but it's fixing on the other end is behind the engine, below the steering column, and above the steering rack. In short, impossible to remove unless you know a trick (which I apparently don't).

Is it possible to cut the pipe at a rubber section and join it with a sleeve and hose clamps? Or is the pressure just too great? Alternatively, is there some way of getting the pipe off which I am oblivious to?
+1
Monday, February 6th, 2017 AT 9:00 PM
My Dad was a Ford kinda guy.

I'm more of an AMC and Willys feller.

You mentioned Ford changed the design.

Have you looked at aftermarket parts (Such as the local parts store)?

Many times you can see your local store, online.

Look up both vehicles.

Compare 'their' part numbers between a 2006 and a 2010, are they different?

I woulda done this for you, but you gave us none of your vehicle info (now you know how!)

Next, sometimes you can scroll down and see the exact specs of the part you are viewing, sometimes "that store" may not list the hole/ thread size, go online to another local store, maybe they will list it. If nothing else just go there and have 'em put it on the counter for a better inspection.

Some people 'have to have' Genuine parts.

I can't see the bigger bucks spent at the stealership.

Not me, most of the time I can get a lifetime warranty (keep the receipt forever, like I do, you'll never have to buy it again!)

Reman parts are cheaper a lot of the time, I very rarely have a problem with 'em (I always have the receipt!)

A good part that fits beats modifying the goodies in your vehicle.

Your Turn,

The Medic
Tuesday, February 7th, 2017 AT 4:55 PM