TRANSMISSION SHUDDERS

1995 Ford Aerostar

kmesaaz

July, 29, 2009 AT 11:10 AM

1995 Ford Aerostar 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 137, 00 miles

My van has become my in-town, flat steets only vehicle. The van does not accelerate smoothly--it shudders. In the hot Phoenix summer months it really shudders. The shuddering usually occurs around 20-35 mph. If you don't force it, the van will finally accelerate fine. So, I am usually the one everybody is going around at the light.

My mechanic of 28 years has done the lesser type maintenance on the transmission, and while he hasn't said it is time to overhaul it, he has said he can recommend someone when I am ready for this repair.

I would like your opinion on the shuddering. I would also like a ballpark figure on the cost. Last, is it worth repairing?

The maintenance has been done regularly and the repairs have been done as soon as the problem arises. There has been a pesky, reoccurring problem with the panel lights-" brake" and " Rear ABS" lights- which has been worked on numerous times. The brakes are fine, the lights keep turning on at odd times.

With the Cash for Clunkers I am really thinking about a new vehicle!

Transmission Flare

Transmission Problem

Jacobandnickolas

July, 29, 2009 AT 4:29 PM

If the trans is shuddering, it sounds like the clutch plates are done. TO have yours rebuilt, I would estimate around 2500.00 for a basic overhaul. If hard parts are needed, the price will go up.

Transmission Speed Sensor Replacement Honda
Automatic Transmission Service
Transmission Drain and Refill Kia Sportage